What is personal information?
“Personal information” is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples include an individual’s name, address, contact number and email address.
“Sensitive information” is a special category of personal information. Sensitive information includes health information and information about an individual’s race or ethnic origin, philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association, membership of a trade union, religious or philosophical beliefs and sexual orientation or practices.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a variety of ways, including:
- when you interact with us in person, in writing, by telephone, via email or online;
- when you submit a query through our website;
- when you register for a training course offered by us;
- if you are a medical provider, when you advise us of your details in person, in writing, by telephone, via email or online;
- if you are a therapy provider, when your therapy association provides your details to us for inclusion in our Therapy Database; and
- if you apply for a job or position with us.
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold about you depend on the nature of your dealings with us and the circumstances of collection. For example:
- if you submit a query through our website, we collect your name, email address and telephone number;
- if you register for a training course offered by us, we collect your name, email address and telephone number;
- if you are a therapy provider, we collect your name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, and details about your education, first aid training, insurance policies, membership of a therapy association and Continuing Professional Education, for inclusion in our Therapy Database; and
- if you are a medical provider, we collect your name, provider number(s), practice addresses, email address, billing agent (where applicable), telephone number, email and website addresses and bank details.
If you deal with us in some other capacity, we may collect your name and contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
We may also collect details of the interactions you have with us.
We do not generally collect sensitive information (other than details of your membership of a therapy association, if you are a therapy provider), and we will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise required or authorised by or under law to do so).
If you are or become an ARHG employee, the handling of your personal information may be exempt from the Australian Privacy Principles if it is directly related to your current or former employment relationship with us.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a range of purposes, including:
- to respond to your queries;
- to supply services to our member health funds;
- to maintain our Therapy Database, and to make our Therapy Database available to our member health funds and other health funds which subscribe to our Therapy Database;
- for our administrative purposes and internal record keeping;
- to perform research and analysis;
- to manage our relationships with our member health funds, suppliers and contractors; and
- to consider applicants for current and future positions with
We may use and disclose your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law (including purposes for which you have provided your consent).
If we are unable to collect personal information from or about you, we may not be able to respond to your requests or enquiries or engage in certain other dealings with you.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
In conducting our business, we may disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. These third parties include, where appropriate:
- if you are a therapy provider whose details are included on our Therapy Database, our member health funds and other health funds which subscribe to our Therapy Database;
- if you are a medical provider whose details are included on our database, our member health funds; hospital providers, when we share claims or member information as part of the services that we perform on behalf of our member funds;
- third parties who we engage to perform services for or on behalf of ARHG, including information technology service providers and external business advisors (such as corporate advisors, auditors and lawyers); and
- if you are a job applicant, referees whose details you have provided to
We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties and for other purposes where we are required or authorised by or under law to do so (including where you have provided your consent).
We are not likely to disclose personal information to recipients located outside Australia for any purposes.
How we hold personal information, and quality and security of personal information
We generally hold personal information in computer systems, including computer systems operated for us by our service providers. We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes taking appropriate security measures to protect electronic materials as well as any materials stored in hard copy, and requiring our service providers to do so.
We take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. You can help us by letting us know (using the contact details at the end of this policy) about any changes to your personal information, such as your address and phone number.
Access to and correction of your personal information
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you would like to access or correct the personal information we hold about you. We will generally provide you with access to your personal information (subject to some exceptions permitted by law), but may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have collected or handled your personal information. We will inquire into your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Contact details and additional information
- by phone: + 61 3 9841 9514
- by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post: Australian Regional Health Group PO Box 2024
TEMPLESTOWE LOWER, VIC 3107
©Australian Regional Health Group 2022
ABN 44 067 435 714